1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Translated 10-22-08 - ROCKIN ON JAPAN

Discussion in 'Stereopony Interviews' started by crimsonknight4, Jul 23, 2014.

1. crimsonknight4

crimsonknight4 Global Moderator Translator

At an average age of 17.3, living in Okinawa, these girls, Stereopony, have an unimaginable world view, debut

Interviewer = Takahashi Miho

At an average age of 17.3, a girls band living in Okinawa, drawing attention from reports, the fully loaded 3 piece, Stereopony. But, their true intrigue lies in the music which cannot be felt through reports. First with lyrics such as <If we could do it over・Once more・I want to hold you>, you wouldn’t think two of the members were girl high school students, and an adult-like point of view stands out. In addition, with music interpreting 80s Japanese rock through the 00s, it does not have the aura of Okinawa. In other words, as reported, these girls are hiding the power to smash the rose-colored glasses. At this time their single「Hitohira no Hanabira」is debuting. In their songs and lives, they are still unrefined but paying attention to them would not be a waste.

- First, what was the occasion of your formation?
    SHIHO(DR)「It was when we were all gathered at Ajisai’s Music Village. Originally it was a bento shop」
    - A bento shop!?
    SHIHO(DR)「Yes (Laughs)。It was behind the school, it was that place where a hand-built studio was made by students who wanted to practice music. We formed there」
    - Originally, was there a desire for a debut?
    SHIHO「With our lives continuing to pile on, we naturally began to want to make our major debut」
    -You accomplish your goals quickly don’t you?
    AIMI(Vo&G)「I wonder if it’s fast? To me each and every day seemed long」
    SHIHO「Looking at the period of time, it might seem fast but we were practicing afterschool everyday」
    -Since you make original songs, have you thought about what direction you want to take them?
    AIMI「I want to do various types of songs but in the end, I want our songs to be called Stereopony-like. I want to make it so that in the coolness is both sadness and cuteness.」
    -,Rather than saying it’s adult-like, it’s more like you’re not trying to push your youth.
    SHIHO「The influence of AIMI’s mother is strong」
    AIMI「That’s right. A long time ago, I used to go with my parents to karaoke」
    SHIHO「80s-like」
    AIMI「When I make songs that feeling naturally comes out. It’s a nostalgic feeling but I want to make something new」
    - The song lyrics’ adult-like viewpoint also stands out, it made my heart beat.
    AIMI「Even in school…………it’s not like I didn’t fit in but, I couldn’t play around innocently like everyone else」
    SHIHO「I was in the same class as AIMI but, AIMI is special. When she was supposed to laugh she just acted indifferent (Laughs) 」
    AIMI「I don’t act indifferent! (Laughs). But to tell the truth, even though all the kids from that same class were full of energy, there were times I was looked at as mysterious」
    SHIHO「Before we formed the band, we sat next to each other but within everyone from that class she was the type that would pull your attention」
    AIMI「That’s the first time I hear about that (Lol). In that respect, there was SHIHO too」
    - Is that when all three of you got together?
    AIMI「It was a matter of timing. When we were all separate, the 3 of us were thinking about forming a band without even having picked up our instruments. The interval in which we picked up our instruments and formed the band was close too.」
    NOHANA(B)「I went to the music village with 2 seniors I looked up to and didn’t know SHIHO at all at first」
    SHIHO「“What is the difference between a bass and guitar?” something like that (Laughs). I was invited by AIMI but I got caught up in it」
    AIMI「I always thought, drums would suit the girl in the next seat (Laughs) 」
    - You didn’t even talk about music!?
    AIMI「We didn’t (Laughs) 」
    SHIHO「When I was waiting for the bus while reading a book, I was invited. “Just for 30 seconds, if you come you can see our seniors perform”; when I did the drums caught my eye.」
    - It seems like fate doesn’t it?
    AIMI「That’s right. Being told that makes me realize it was so (Laughs) 」
    - Next, your interest for that coolness became deeper.
    AIMI「No no. We’re girls so we would rather be called cute」
    SHIHO「Don’t involve me in that. Even though we’re girls, we’re cool.」
    - This is what’s called a gap.
    SHIHO「A gap, I like that」
    - Again, though you live in Okinawa your songs aren’t Okinawa-like right?
    SHIHO「I love Okinawa but I’m not thinking that we should include that in our music.」
    NOHANA「I wonder if this is also a gap? It’s Okinawan but the music is different」
    SHIHO「If someone is surprised by that, I’d be happy (Laughs) 」
    AIMI「We’re a gap band (Laughs)」

rsniteblaze likes this.
  2. rsniteblaze

rsniteblaze Administrator

I was just reminded of how young they were when they debuted... Thanks for the translation! Good choice choosing the earliest interview published in a magazine haha.