1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

English 2010-06-18 - Neumania

Discussion in 'Stereopony Interviews' started by rsniteblaze, Aug 17, 2014.

1. rsniteblaze

rsniteblaze Administrator

Source: http://neumania.net/?page_id=19132

[​IMG]

Could you please start off by introducing yourselves and your position in the band?
    Aimi: I am STEREOPONY vocal and guitar, Aimi. Nice to meet you.
    Nohana: I am Nohana on bass.
    Shiho: I am Shiho on drums.

STEREOPONY is an interesting name. Can you tell us how you came up with it, and if it has any kind of personal meaning?
    Nohana: It is actually a word split between stereo and pony. Stereo being a three-dimensional, cool, sound type and pony being the cute type, we are combining the two images together.
    Aimi: Like a pony running. (Makes pony running gestures.)

Since two of you are from Okinawa, the other from Nagasaki, how did you meet each other?
    A Aimi: Initially, Nohana and I were in Okinawa at the same school where all of the music related people would hang out. That is where we met in junior year. Shiho and I met in same year in Okinawa as well. We were in the same class, that is how we met.

When it comes to rock music in most countries, it is mostly led by male bands. What is your opinion of this, being an all female band?
    A Aimi: We are not really considering or thinking about being a three female rock group; we have a positive outlook and a unique sound that can only be made by a girl band.

I see. So, what kind of bands you like to listen to? What type of music do you like?
    A Aimi: Madina Lake. I went to their concert in Japan.
    Nohana: Namie Amuro, she’s from Okinawa too. And Lady Gaga.
    Shiho: Maximum the Hormone! You know? Rock and roll! And I like Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Do any of these bands influence your music? Or who are you influenced by?
    Aimi & Nohana: Avril Lavigne. In high school we used to have a cover band.
    Nohana: But we have different tastes in music genres; we want to combine that together to make our own unique sound in STEREOPONY .

Your songs have been featured in anime such as Bleach and Darker Then Black. How do you feel about that?
    Aimi: I enjoy reading manga very much, so with our single being the theme song to Bleach, I was personally very happy.

Do you each have a favorite anime or manga series?
    Aimi: Sailor Moon.
    Shiho: Dragon Ball.
    Nohana: Anything. Shojo and shonen, diverse.
    Aimi: I like Cartoon Network – Spongebob, Powerpuff Girls, American cartoons as well!

A lot of Japanese rock fans pay close attention to the Oricon charts, and people were excited when your albums reached the charts. What were you feeling when you learned you made it to the charts? it
    A Aimi: It was unbelievable. We were purely surprised.

Stereopony’s first appearance in America was last year in 2009 at SXSW. What was it like playing here for the first time?
    Aimi: For Shiho and I, it was our first time going overseas so getting passports and everything was worrisome, but once we started playing we felt welcomed. We witnessed that music has no boundaries with any language.
    Nohana: It was the first time performing in a different country, but the fans were very warm and welcoming. It was very comfortable and we were able to play well.

Do you have any different expectations for tonight’s show? What do you hope to convey tonight, compared to SXSW?
    Aimi: This being a big concert here at AnimeNEXT, we are going to play some songs from our new second album. We are curious to see how the U.S. audience reacts to our music.

Any place you would want to see?
    A Aimi: We are going to New York City tomorrow; it is very exciting since it is our first time!

I hope you will enjoy it! What do you have planned for the future and what goals do you have this year?
    Aimi: After we go back, we have a tour in Japan, to follow up to the new album. We’ll be touring Japan this year.

You just released a new album, but are you working on any new music again?
    A Aimi: Not yet, we’re going to be touring from July, but we hope to get some inspiration from this tour for a new single.

Do you think you will be inspired by New York and the people you will see tonight?
    A Aimi: Most definitely, we’re looking forward to it.

Just one last question. Can you please give a message to your fans?

Aimi: We want our fans to experience STEREOPONY and our music. We are from Japan and it is not often we can come out here. So we want to leave a memory that we are here and want to rock out, and just keep on doing it!

Credits
    We’d like to thank STEREOPONY, Sony Music Japan, and Missy for this wonderful interview!