1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Band 7!! (Seven Oops)

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by dereko92, Apr 16, 2013.

1. dereko92

dereko92 Administrator

[​IMG]
    7!!
    (pronounced Seven Oops; セブンウップス) is a four piece Japanese rock band formed in 2004. They received the grand prix for Mitsuya Cider CM Audition in 2005, and their original song, "Sun Light", was used for Mitsuya Cider’s commercial. The band debuted under EPIC Record Japan with the single "Falling Love", on April 13th 2011. They were also chosen to sing the opening theme for the popular anime NARUTO: Shippuuden, with the song "Lovers".

Members
    • NANAE (vocals)
      MICHIRU (guitar)
      KEITA (bass)
      MAIKO (drums)

Discography
    Studio Albums

Singles

Compilations / Other
    • [2012.12.05] Kyo, Koi wo Hajimemasu Official Album (#13 Yowamushi-san)

External Links

Official Website; http://www.7oops.com/
    Sony Music Profile; http://www.sonymusic.co.jp/Music/Arch/E ... index.html
    Official Blog; http://ameblo.jp/7-oops/
    Official Facebook; http://www.facebook.com/sevenoops

Source; http://www.generasia.com/wiki/7!!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  2. GeoFreak

GeoFreak Stereopony Fan

They're coming to Fanime here in Northern California this year. I checked out a couple of their songs and liked what I heard so far. Can't wait to hear more and see them live!

3. Destonus

Destonus Global Moderator

I found very bad rips of their songs, so I really couldn't get into them, but their first full album's on its way to me so I'll be able to cast my vote much easier now.

I think 7!!! had a four way show with Stepo, Scandal, and FLiP at one point!

Oh, and Geofreak, if you see their show, fill us in!

4. GeoFreak

GeoFreak Stereopony Fan

I've listened to their album Doki Doki three times through now, and I love it. Nanae's voice is perfect for their style of pop rock. It's definitely more on the pop side of the spectrum too. Really upbeat and catchy. My favorite song is probably Yowamushi-san. The concert is in just 11 days, can't wait!

5. Destonus

I agree with you, Geo. Their music, now that I can hear it in all it's glory and not bad audio recordings, is very happy and upbeat. Many of the songs Nohana wrote for Stereopony have the sweetness that she was aiming for kind of downgraded by Aimi. Don't get me wrong, I love Aimi, but how those songs would sound if Nanae sang them would probably be closer to how Nohana intended for them to sound. (Kind of how screenwriters will write a part with a particular actor/actress in mind)

Having 7!! on my Mp3 player brings some extra pure sugary happiness to balance out Aimi's deep thoughts, Scandal's Stereopony with an edge sound, Taka's anger and insanity, and Yuko's guitar solos.

Enjoy the show! Hopefully they'll bring in a good crowd due to their Naruto connections and hopefully they sound even better live.

6. dereko92

dereko92 Administrator

Agreed Nanae's voice is definitely sweet sugar to my ears :m001:

According to Arc's Sony Press sources they're also going to perform in New York
    http://www.fujisankei.com/7oops/

7. Destonus

Yes, yes! I think FCI Morning Eye is some kind of news program that's broadcast to select markets in the States. MA isn't included, but NY/NJ/CT is, so maybe Drahc can enlighten us. I'd assume it's in Japanese.

I'm really happy about this. Yes it's a free show and you have to win tickets to it, but a hot up and coming Japanese band performing in New York and NOT at a con?

IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!!!!

Oh wait, Sterepony did that too...

Sorry, I've been waiting a while for a Japanese artist to majorly plant their flag in America after PSY made everyone but me go Gangham Style and Girls Generation performed live on a morning talk show...

8. dereko92

dereko92 Administrator

I think they used "Nijiro" for the opening theme- "I think"

I hope you've applied to go Des! One in a lifetime opportunity

9. Destonus

No, I just got back from Hawaii. Need to pay back parents for hotel first. Maybe Drahc can go and fill us in. Geo's already going to see them in Cali I think.

10. dereko92

dereko92 Administrator

7!! in WHAT's IN? June 2013
    [​IMG]

11. GeoFreak

GeoFreak Stereopony Fan

12. Destonus

Good, if you didn't Derek and I would have to kill you:)

Wait, are 7!! from Okinawa too, or was Nanae just acknowledging that Stereopony was?

Post or link when you go to the Q&A, we must know more about them!

Hope you have Nanae and Maiko to either side of you in the picture!

13. GeoFreak

GeoFreak Stereopony Fan

Yep, 7!! is also from Okinawa.

The Q&A was a week ago now, so I'll try to recall as much as I can. They started by introducing the band, mentioning their Naruto songs, etc. The MC asked a few basic questions like how they formed and what they thought about performing in the US for the first time. They actually showed the OP videos and then a promo video for their album, which I kind of didn't like, because it took time away from asking questions. They also had already started 15 minutes late because the audio wasn't set up right. Anyway...

7!! formed in 2004 when the members were all still in high school. IIRC, Nanae said that she saw bands at their school festival and wanted to try something like that as well. She asked her friend Keita to play bass, who then asked his friend Michiru to play guitar. They discovered Maiko later (more on that below) and that's how they formed.

Fan questions: I don't recall that many besides my own, lol. One answer I remember they gave was that when composing songs and writing lyrics, they have a fictional high school girl character for whom they write stories, so that even though different members write songs, they all have a common theme. The character isn't based on any real person, but she is a character anyone can relate to.

I asked them about how and when they chose their instruments. Keita said that there was a female bassist he really admired at the time in middle school, and he started playing bass because of that. I think the name was "Sheen" or some that sounded like that. I know he also plays guitar; in fact, if you watch the FCI Morning Eye episode with 7!!, he plays guitar on the acoustic version of Nijiiro and also plays guitars at a music shop they visit. I wish I had seen that episode before Fanime so that I could've asked him more about it :/

Michiru picked up guitar in 6th grade in order to impress a girl, lol.

One day in high school, Maiko walked into the music room and saw a drum set sitting there and was really intrigued, so she started playing around on it. After 2 weeks, Nanae showed up and asked her to join a band, and the rest is history.

14. Destonus

Yay! More Okinawans to support!

Hrm...that's interesting, they have a common theme between all their songs. I'm not aware of any other group that does that.

So we have a bassist that can play guitar...instead of one that just took bass because of less strings...(you two know who you are...Tomo, at least you TRIED guitar...) We must go to every Q & A we can and ask this question to all bassists!

School festivals seem to be a common thread in band formations...Aimi I think was inspired by one as well.

SCANDAL was just asked by teachers to take up instruments, FLiP formed in a McDonald's, Taka I think liberated his friends from hip-hop groups to form ONE OK ROCK...

Did you happen to remember how they came up with their name?

Thank you for enlightening us on 7!!!

15. GeoFreak

GeoFreak Stereopony Fan

Oh duh, I can't believe I forgot that. It was actually one of the questions asked by the MC guy, but the answer was really funny and interesting.

7 in Japanese is "nana". and the !! in indicates surprise, which in Japanese is expressed by saying "eh?!" Put those together and you have nana-eh, or Nanae!

16. Destonus

Very creative! More so than "We like the vibe of this word, and we like the vibe of this word, so let's put them together!" or, "We'll just use what this guy wrote on his door as an inside joke between us and let it become our name." Then again, I don't know about sorta/kinda naming the band AFTER yourself...

Is that also how you pronounce HER name? Because I think I've been pronouncing it wrong for the longest time...

Nobody asked about Ajisai at all I suppose. Not necessarily that they WENT there, but I'm sure they've at least heard of it and/or Nini...

I think fate might have played some part in Maiko's meeting of Nanae...they have the EXACT SAME BIRTHDAY!

17. GeoFreak

GeoFreak Stereopony Fan

Yeah, the "nae" part is not a single syllable.

Speaking of their identical birthdays, my friend answered a trivia question about which members had the same birthday. He knew it because he had watched their Niconico Live from a few weeks ago. He got an autographed poster for it. So jealous...

18. Destonus

Yeah, I figured that after you explained that the band's name is a play on her name.

It would have been great to win autographed stuff, but did you at least get your picture with the band?

19. GeoFreak

GeoFreak Stereopony Fan

Yep! I now have photos with two bands from Okinawa!

Also, Maiko's most recent blog post says that Keita is half Mexican and can speak Spanish. They took a band photo with Keita replaced by his doppelganger on the Fanime volunteer staff, who was full Mexican. http://ameblo.jp/7-oops/entry-11547166146.html

I had no idea, but I guess some Latinos can have Asian-looking features from their Native American ancestry. He still looks way more Japanese than someone like Ken Hirai, who I thought for certain was half Middle Eastern until I found out he was full Japanese.

20. Destonus

Odd. I wouldn't have thought that. But then again there's apparently a Japanese band that was born and raised in Brazil.

They didn't happen to mention being friends (on Facebook or otherwise) with any other bands, did they? I think they, SCANDAL, Stereopony, and FLiP went on tour together, but only three out of those four come from Okinawa, so I'm not sure on the significance. But I think this was long before Doki Doki came out and 7!! only had their like three singles or something.

I'm guessing Nanae is wide open for idol worship with the line at the Altar of Maiko going around the world a couple times. Don't get me wrong, Maiko is cool with her hair and her goofiness, but Nanae's the prettier of the Birthday Girls. I'm not sure if it's because she reminds me of Aimi or not, but my vote's for Nanae!