1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Translated BEEAST Seal of Approval Series, 26th Artist: Draft King

Discussion in 'Draft King Interviews' started by dereko92, Mar 15, 2014.

1. dereko92

dereko92 Administrator

Original Entry: http://www.beeast69.com/feature/100038

Original
    本誌BEEASTが自信を持ってプッシュする太鼓判アーティストの特集、第26弾に登場するのは4人組ガールズロックバンド・Draft Kingだ。

Draft Kingは2013年1月に結成。かつてステレオポニーとして第一線で活躍したNOHANA(Bass)とSHIHO(Drums)、そしてステレオポニーでサポートギターを務めていたMAOの3人を中心にスタート。その後にボーカルとして選ばれたericaを加えて本格的に活動を開始した。

結成当時から精力的にライブ活動を行い、6月には自主制作CD「Hey My Love」をリリース。ライブ会場の限定発売にも関わらず即日完売。その後もライブ活動を続けて、結成わずか8か月でShibuya eggmanにて初のワンマンライブ『~1st mission to the DK~in 渋谷eggman』を成功させた。そして来たる3月28日(金)に2ndワンマンライブ「~2nd mission to the DK~at SHIBUYA CLUB QUATTRO」が行われる。結成から1年を迎えたDraft Kingメンバーに、結成の経緯からここまでの活動、そして2ndワンマンライブへの意気込みを伺った。

—まず皆さんの音楽のルーツを伺いたいと思います。小さい頃はどんな音楽を聴いていましたか?

SHIHO:小学生の時は母親の勧めもありピアノを習っていて、聴く音楽もピアノ曲が中心でした。元々バンドにはあまり関心がないと言うか、そんなに詳しくないし、そもそもバンドって何だ?とっていう感じでした。

erica:私は小学生の頃から母の影響で、洋楽ばかり聴いていた気がします。特にBritney Spearsさんが大好きでした。

NOHANA:私は親がダンスの先生をやっていたので、最初は安室奈美恵さんとかのダンスミュージックがすごく好きでした。中学校に入ってからバンドサウンドを聴くようになりましたね。

MAO:母親がバンドミュージックが好きで、よく車の中で流していました。それの影響で私もバンドばかり聴いていました。特に好きだったのはBUMP OF CHICKENさんで、中学生の頃は毎日のように聴いていました。

—皆さん4人とも親御さんの影響が大きいのですね。では、いつ頃どんな理由でバンドを始めようと思ったのでしょうか?

NOHANA:中学生当時聴いていたORANGE RANGEさんに影響を受けてベースを始めました。また、中学生の時に女性のベーシストを観たことも大きく影響しています。バンドって男の人がやるイメージが強かったのですが、そのベーシストの方を観て「カッコイイな」って思ったんです。その時、「ガールズバンドやってみれば?」と周りからの勧めもあり、高校に入ってからバンドを組んで、本格的に活動を始めました。高校3年間はバンド三昧でしたね。

MAO:中学生の時に音楽室にあるギターを触ったのが最初です。興味本位で弾いているうちにちゃんとやりたいと思うようになり、親に頼んで地元のギター教室に通わせてもらいました。最初はアコースティックギターで、後にエレキギターに移行しました。それから高校生になってコピーバンドを組んで、活動していくうちにどんどんギターが好きになって…そして高校卒業後の進路を決める時、ギターを仕事にしたいと思い、上京しました。

SHIHO:私がバンドを始めたのは高校生になってからで、きっかけは高校に入学した時隣の席に座っていた子に誘われたことです。その「隣の子」というのが、前のバンド(=ステレオポニー)のボーカルだったんですよ。その時にNOHANAにも出会いました。

NOHANA:そうだね。

—それがステレオポニー結成の経緯なんですね。SHIHOさんはそれまで楽器経験がなかったところから、誘われたとはいえなぜバンドを始めようと思ったのですか?

SHIHO:「音楽に興味ない?スタジオに遊びに来てよ」って無理やり誘われて、とりあえず見るだけ見てみるかってなって。でも内心正直めんどくさいなって思いながら。でも、そこでたまたま先輩のバンドが練習しているのをチラっと見たらドラムがすごくかっこよかったんですよね。それで、私もドラムを叩いてみたい!という気持ちになって、バンドに入ることにしました。

—そうすると、SHIHOさんとNOHANAさんのバンド歴を振りかえると全てガールズバンドなんですね。対バン相手に珍しがられることもあるのでは?

NOHANA:そうですね…最初からガールズバンドとしてスタートしたので、自分の中では「バンド=ガールズバンド」が当たり前になっていますが、確かに普段聴いたりテレビで見たりするバンドは男性ばかりですね。ある時プリンセスプリンセスさんを見て、メジャーシーンでも女性だけで組んだバンドが活躍しているんだということを初めて知りました。

—ericaさんはこれまでどんなバンドを組んでいたのですか?

erica:私は、バンドのボーカルとして活動するのは実はDraft Kingが初めてなんです。もともと歌うことは大好きで、小さい頃から歌手になるのが夢でした。高校生の頃まで地元で歌いながら、色々なオーディションを受けました。そこで色々な人と出会っていく中でNOHANAさんたちに出会い、このバンドに入りました。

—そうだったのですね。では、ericaさんと出会う経緯も含めて、改めてDraft King結成の経緯を教えてください。

SHIHO:高校の時から始めたステレオポニーでデビューして、すごいスピードで活動させてもらって…そして、2012年に解散が決まりました。でもその後にバンド活動が自分の中からなくなる、ということを考えることができなかったんですよね。止まるなんて考えられなくて。

—バンドは続けていきたいんだという欲求が…

SHIHO:「バンドやりたいな」っていう感じというか…バンドをやらないという選択肢が自分の中でなかったんですよ。それが、このバンドの結成に至った経緯というか動機です。立ち止まるということは考えていなくて。それで、NOHANAと一緒にやろうって。

NOHANA:まだまだ叶えたい夢もありましたし、応援してくれる人のためにもまだ音楽をやりたいという気持ちがすごくあったので。私たちは経験があまりない時から一緒にやってきているので、またやるならと一緒にやりたいと思いましたね。SHIHOとはそういう話をして、「他のメンバーどうしよう」と考えた時に、ステレオポニーのサポートギターをしていたMAOの顔が浮かびました。ステレオポニーでは1年くらいしか一緒に活動していなかったんですけど、ずっと一緒に頑張ってくれていたので、一緒にやれたら楽しいんじゃないかなと思いました。それで近くのケンタッキーに呼び出して、ね。

MAO:(笑顔でうなずく)

SHIHO:それで、MAOをバンドに誘いました。そうしたら「はい!是非一緒にやりたいです!」って即答で答えてくれました。

—そこから今度はボーカル探しですね。

NOHANA:そうなんですよ!そこからがとても大変で。

—何が一番大変でしたか?

NOHANA:MAOは一緒にステージに立った経験があるので、どういう人とかはわかっていたんですね。でもボーカルは1から探したので、会った人全員に対してどんな人でどんな性格なのか、とか色々を短時間で見ないといけなかったですよ。でもericaは直観でしたね。何か違いましたね。色々な人を見たんですけど。凄い変わっていて面白いし、個性がありますし。

—どのようにericaさんと出会ったのですか?

NOHANA:ボーカル探しのために、まずは色々な人の紹介で色々なライブ映像を観て候補者を探していました。その中に、ericaが何かのオーディションを受けた時の映像があったのですが、その時直感で良いな~と思って、一緒にスタジオに入ってもらって、私たちの音に合わせて歌ってもらい、ライブを重ねていき、今に至りました。

—ericaさんのどういうところにグッときましたか?

SHIHO:本当に変わり者だったので、オーラがすごかったんですよ。変わり者オーラみたいのが(笑)。人を惹き付ける力があったんですよね。前に立ってもらう人なら、そういう人じゃないとだめだと思っていました。

—ということは、ericaさんにはある日突然声がかかったわけですね。

erica:そうですね。スタジオに呼ばれて、そこで演奏に合わせて歌いました。

—その時に歌った曲は何だったんですか?

SHIHO:前のバンドの曲ですね。その頃はまだDraft Kingとしてのオリジナル曲もなかったし、どんな歌声か聴いてみるということだったら、前のバンドで上に行かせてもらった曲なら知ってるかなと思って、オーダーしました。

—本人を前に「ステポ」の歌を歌うなんて、緊張しませんでしたか?

erica:緊張は、しましたね。

NOHANA:うそ~!あんまり緊張したように見えなかったよ(笑)

erica:いやいやいや。してましたよ(笑)。私栃木の日光出身で、標準語で喋っているつもりだったんですけど「すごいなまってるね」って言われてびっくりしました。

—では、その時に歌合わせをしてからすぐericaさんに決まったのですか?

SHIHO:2、3回くらい一緒にスタジオに入ったんですけど、最初の印象からericaでほぼ決定でしたね。何度か一緒にスタジオに入ったらその気になるかなと思って(笑)

NOHANA:雰囲気的に「いいえ」って言わせないようにしましたね(笑)

SHIHO:周りからどんどん固めていこうという感じで。

—もうその流れに任せるといった感じだったのでしょうか?

erica:そうですね。流れに乗りました。

—不安とかはありませんでしたか?

erica:不安はまったくなく、楽しいからこのまま突っ走ろうと思いました。やりたいことはこれだ!っていう感じで。
    nbsp;
    —晴れてメンバーも決まって、そこから曲作りスタートですね。曲を作る時にこだわっていることや、気をつけていることはありますか?

SHIHO:作詞に関してはNOHANAをはじめ、私やericaも書いていて、曲はMAOが作っています。私は作詞に関して、同年代や年下の人が聴いてもわかりやすい言葉を選ぶのが良いかなと思っています。でも正直あんまり気にせずに書いていますね。単語をバーッていっぱい出して、最後にわかりやすくすれば良いかなって。

—どういうことを歌詞にすることが多いですか?

SHIHO:前は自分の経験したことを歌詞にすることが多かったのですが、今はテレビとか本を見ていて面白いなと思ったフレーズをストックして、そこからインスピレーションを受けて自分の言葉を考えていきます。

—作曲はどのように行っていくのでしょうか?

MAO:私はまずオケから作って、そこからericaの歌声の良さが出るようなメロをつけていきます。ライブで映える曲を作るように意識しています。

—メンバーには作っていくどの段階で聴かせるんですか?

MAO:ほとんど完成した状態の時ですね。

SHIHO:MAOが作ってきてくれた曲を、スタジオでバンドとしてガッツリと作り上げていくといったことが最近は多くなってきました。スタジオで演奏していく中でアレンジをして、演奏するたびに曲を成長させていきます。

NOHANA:MAOとericaは今2人で同居しているので、ある程度の段階でericaには聴かせているようです。

erica:隣からギターの音が聴こえてくるな~って(笑)

—ericaさんはそれを聴いて何かアドバイスをするのですか?

erica:そうですね。出しやすいキーを伝えるようにしています。

—ボーカルに関して、何か普段から意識してやっていることはありますか?

erica:発声のトレーニングやのどのケアはもちろんですが、最近は表現力や感じ方を勉強しようかなと思って、本を読み始めました。主に推理小説です。

—Draft Kingが結成1年ということはericaさんのバンド歴も1年ということですが、バンドサウンドの曲を意識して聴くようになりましたか?

erica:対バンさせて頂くバンドの曲を聴いたり、有名なバンドのCDはよく聴くようになりましたね。色々な曲を聴くように意識するようになりました。

—ボーカルを目指す読者に向けて、のどのケアについても教えてください。

erica:寝る時に睡眠用のマスクをしたり、加湿器をつけたり。体調管理はしっかりしています。バンドを始めてから、今まで以上に意識しています。

—Draft Kingの結成1年ということで、他のメンバーの方にも伺いたいと思います。活動について、以前のバンド、ステレオポニーの時と変わったことはありますか?

NOHANA:以前よりバンドマンらしい、バンド活動というのを今しているように感じます。地方のツアーには自分たちで車を出して行くようになりましたし、物販も自分たちでやっています。音に関しては、ピンボーカルがいるということが大きな変化ですね。ライブでのグルーブも全然違いますし。最近はステレオポニーを知らなかった人たちからも「カッコイイね」と声をかけてくださることが増えたので、単純に嬉しいです。

—今後こういうところでライブしたい、といった目標というか構想はありますか?

erica:ライブハウスを制覇したいです。大きい所から小さい所まで。

SHIHO:もっと色々なところに行きたいですね。地方だけじゃなく、日本だけじゃなく。色々なところ行きたいなという強い気持ちがあります。いっぱいライブしたいですね。

—これまでに出演したライブハウスで、特に印象に残っている所はありますか?

SHIHO:前のバンドで海外に行かせてもらう機会がたくさんありましたが、その中でも印象に残っているのはアメリカのとあるライブハウスです。ステージの下が全部スピーカーなんですよ。バスドラを踏むと下からバフバフ風が鳴るっていうすごいステージがありました。

NOHANA:アメリカでは有名なライブハウスなんですよ。ステレオポニーではアメリカツアーを行うことができたので、またこのバンドでも海外を回れたら面白いなと思います。

—3月28日には2回目のワンマンライブがありますが、どのようなライブを作っていきたいですか?

MAO:既に3月に向けての練習を始めています。「クアトロのためにこうしよう、こうしたい」という理想を音として反映できるように、日々練習しています。

NOHANA:前回の1stワンマンに比べてステージが大きくなることもあり、このステージならではのパフォーマンスを魅せていきたいです。自由に楽しんで、弾き倒したいなと思っています。

erica:歌とかパフォーマンスをもっともっと見てもらえたらいいなと思います。「ここカッコイイだろう」とか「ここ可愛いでしょ?」みたいな。色々な自分たちを見てほしいです。

SHIHO:Draft Kingで最初のワンマンライブを昨年8月に開催しました。結成してからそんなに日も経っていないタイミングでのワンマンだったので、メンバーそれぞれすごく不安だったと思いますし、バンドとしてもまだまだだったと思うんですよね。そこからいっぱいライブを重ねて、1年経って、今はバンドとして固まってきていますし、1本1本のライブを集中して取り組めているので、それだけでも前回のワンマンとは違った熱いライブができると私は思っています。

English
    For the feature on artists which this magazine, BEEAST, has confidence in and pushed a seal of approval, the four piece girls rock band Draft King is being introduced.

Draft King was formed in January 2013. It started with NOHANA(Bass) and SHIHO(Drums)formerly active as Stereopony, and MAO who was serving as Stereopony’s support guitarist at its core. After that, Erica, who was chosen as vocals joined and activities began in earnest.

From the time of their formation they’ve had vigorous live activities, in June they released their self-produced CD “Hey my love”. Although sale was limited to the live venue, it sold out the same day. After that they continued live activities, then only 8 months after their formation they made their 1st one man live at Shibuya eggman “~1st mission to the DK~in Shibuya eggman” a success. And in the coming March on the 28th (Friday) their 2nd one man live, ”~2nd mission to the DK~at SHIBUYA CLUB QUATTRO” will take place. We asked the Draft King members, who are approaching one year since their formation about the details of their activities, and their enthusiasm about their 2nd one man live.

[VIDEO]

In January 2013 (Draft King) began with NOHANA(Bass), SHIHO(Drums), and MAO(Guitar) at it’s center. After that they added erica(Vocal), who was chosen by audition, and began activities as “Draft King(Dorafuto Kingu)”. The month after their formation they began vigorous live activities and in June they released their self-produced CD “Hey my love”. Although sale was limited to the live venue, it sold out the same day! After that only 8 months after their formation they made their 1st one man live at Shibuya eggman “~1st mission to the DK~in Shibuya eggman” a big success.

Armed with a rich variety of songs, casting a stone into today’s music scene and future girl bands, their second one man live has been decided! March 28th at Shibuya CLUB QUATTRO! They are steadily evolving so don’t miss it!!

—First I would like to ask about your musical roots. What music did you listen to when you were small?

SHIHO:In elementary school with my mother’s encouragement I learned to play the piano, the music I listened to was basically piano music. Originally I didn’t really have any interest in bands or rather I didn’t know much about them to begin with, “What are bands?”, it bad that type of feel.

erica: When I was in elementary school due to my Mother’s influence, I only felt like listening to nothing but foreign music. I loved Britney Spears in particular.

NOHANA: Since my parents were dance instructors, I really grew to love dance music like Amuro Namie. After I entered middle school I began to listen to the “band sound”.

MAO: My mother loved band musicians so those sounds flowed often inside of the car. With that influence I only listened to bands. In particular I liked BUMP OF CHICKEN and I listened to them every day in middle school.

—The influence you 4 got from your parents was big wasn’t it? Well, since when and for what reasons did you think you would like to form a band?

NOHANA: In middle school I listened to ORANGE RANGE and under their influence, I began playing the bass. And then again while I was in middle school a female bassist I saw really had a big influence on me. I had the strong image that bands were something that only guys do, but seeing that bassist I really thought “Man, she’s cool”. After that time there were plenty of suggestions, “Why don’t you try forming a band?”, then when I entered high school I formed a band and began activities in earnest. By my third year of high school I was absorbed in the band.

MAO:The start was when I touched a guitar in an instrument shop when I was in middle school. Out of curiosity, while playing it I thought I would like to properly do so, I asked my parents and they let me attend a class in my hometown. At first it was just with an acoustic guitar, then later I switched over to electric. After that when I became a high school student, I formed a copy band and as we performed I grew to like the guitar more and more…And then after my graduation ceremony when it became time to decide on my career, I thought I would like to make the guitar into my job and I moved to Tokyo.

SHIHO: The first time I was in a band was in high school, the opportunity came when I enrolled in school and was invited by a girl who sat next to me. That “Girl next to me” was the last band’s (= Stereopony) vocals. At that time I met NOHANA.

NOHANA:That’s right.

— And that’s how Stereopony was formed wasn’t it? Up until that point SHIHO had no experience with instruments so why did you think you would like to form a band?

SHIHO: I was forcibly invited with a “Aren’t you interested in music? Come and visit the studio”, and I thought I would just go and look. But truthfully I was really thinking it was a pain. But occasionally I happened to glance at a senior’s band practicing and I thought that the drums were really cool. And at that point I thought, I want to try and play the drums too! Then I joined the band.

— That being said, SHIHO and NOHANA’s experience with bands has only been girl bands. Was that a rare thing among the bands you played with?

NOHANA:That’s right… From the start I was in a girls band so inside of course I felt like “Bands = Girl Bands” but I certainly only heard and saw bands on TV that were only men. At that time I saw Princess Princess and even though they performing in the major scene they were comprised of women.

-Up to this point what band had Erica formed?

erica: Truth be told, Draft King is the first time I have been active as a band’s vocals. From the start I’ve loved singing and it’s been my dream to be a singer ever since I was small. When I was in high school, I sang in my hometown and while I was doing that I took various auditions. In all the various people I met, I met NOHANA and everyone else, and joined the band.

—So that was it huh? Well then please tell me about the particulars of how you met erica, and once again please tell me the details of Draft King’s formation.

SHIHO:From the time I was in high school, we started Stereopony, had our debut, and we were able to be active with incredible speed…and, in 2012 our break up was decided. But after that the thought that band activities would disappear from within me couldn’t surface. I wasn’t able to consider something like stopping.

—And that desire to continue playing in a band…

SHIHO:More than a feeling that “I want to play in a band”…it was more like within me there was not an option not to play in a band. That was the motive in starting this band. I couldn’t consider standing still. So, I told NOHANA “Let’s do this together”.

NOHANA: I still had dreams I wanted to fulfill and for the sake of the people who supported us, I wanted to continue music, those feelings were strong. From the time we didn’t have very much experience we had been playing together so, if we are going to play again we want to play together again. I had that kind of talk with SHIHO and when we thought “What should we do about other members?” Stereopony’s support guitarist, MAO’s face came up. We were only active together in Stereopony for less than a year but, she was working hard with us so I thought it would be fun if we played together. At that point we called the closest Kentucky [KFC].

MAO:(Nods while smiling)

SHIHO: Then we invited MAO to join the band. When we did we got the immediate answer “Yes! By all means, let’s play together!”

—And from there you had to search for vocals.

NOHANA:That’s right! From there it was really difficult.

—What was the hardest part?

NOHANA:MAO had experience standing on stage with us so we knew what kind of person she was. But for vocals we had to start from 1 so we had to think about all the people we had met, things like what kind of person and with what kind of personality all in a short amount of time. But erica was a hunch. Something was different about her. We saw various people but. She was really different, interesting, and individual.

—How did you meet erica?

NOHANA: To look for our vocals, we searched through candidates by various introductions and by watching live videos. In all of that there was one of erica’s audition videos, and at that time I had a hunch and thought she was great, she came into the studio for us and we all played while she sang, pile on our lives and here we are.

-At what point did you feel firmly about erica?

SHIHO:She was really unusual to us so her aura was amazing. She had the aura of an unusual person (Laughs). She had the power to draw people in. If we are choosing the person who is going to stand in front of us, she had to be that kind of person or it wouldn’t be any good.

-And so, on that day you had erica sing for you.

erica:that’s right. I was called into the studio and then we all performed together while I sang.

-What was the song you sang at that time?

SHIHO: It was a song from the previous band. At that time we didn’t have any original Draft King songs and thinking about what singing voice we should try and hear, we wondered if it was the song that allowed us to go higher in the previous band then perhaps we would know.

— Did singing a “Stepo” song in front of them make you nervous?

erica: I was, nervous.

NOHANA:That’s a lie! She didn’t really look like she was nervous (Laughs)

erica:No, no, no. I was (Laughs). I’m from Nikko in Tochigi so I intended to use the standard dialect but I was surprised when I was told “You have a really strong accent”.

— Then, after playing together did you immediately decide on erica?

SHIHO:We came into the studio about 2 or 3 times but from the start from our impression we had basically decided on erica. I wondered whether it would bother her if we came into the studio a few more times (Laughs)

NOHANA: We made it seem like we wouldn’t say “no” (Laughs)

SHIHO:We made it seems like it will get progressively harder.

- So you just left it up to that flow?

erica: That’s right. And I rode that flow.

-Did you have any anxieties?

erica:I had no anxieties, it was fun so I thought that I would like to continue running at this pace. It had a “This is what I want to do!” kind of feel.

—When the members were openly decided, you started song writing. When you make songs is there anything you obsess over or anything you’re careful of?

SHIHO:Lyrics are started by NOHANA and erica or myself also write, the music is made by MAO. In regards to lyric writing I figure it is better to choose words that people my age or younger can understand easily. But honestly I write without worrying about that. The plenty of words come to me suddenly, then at the end I wonder about whether it is easy to understand.

— Are there a lot of things you can make into song lyrics?

SHIHO:There are plenty of things I have experienced that I make into song lyrics but, now I stock up on phrases I see on TV or see in a book that I think are interesting and use them as inspiration to think of my own words.

—How does the music writing proceed?

MAO:I start with the orchestra and then from there I make a melody that will bring out the best of erica’s singing voice. I make the music thinking about making a song that will shine during lives.

—At what stage do you let all the members hear it?

MAO:When it’s basically complete.

SHIHO:We take the songs MAO makes, and then as a band build upon it in the studio, that’s how it is done often. We do the arranging while we are playing in the studio and while we play, we improve the music.

NOHANA:MAO and erica are living together right now so, whatever degree of completion, erica can hear it

erica:I wonder if the guitar can be heard next door (Laughs)

— Hearing that, does, erica give any kind of advice?

erica: Yeah. I convey easy to sing keys and such.

— In regards to vocals, is there anything you are usually mindful of?

erica:Voice training and throat care of course but, lately I’ve been wondering whether I should work on my expressive and sensory power, so I started reading a books. They’re mainly mystery novels.

-It has been 1 year since Draft King formed so erica’s band history stretches back a year but, have you already become accustomed to “band sound” music?

erica:I’ve listened to the bands we’ve played with and listen to famous bands’ CDs. I have grown accustomed to hearing various types of music.

—For our readers who are aiming to become vocals, please teach us about throat care.

erica: Wearing a sleeping mask and turning on a humidifier. And take good care of your body. Since this is my first band, that’s all I know now.

— It’s been a year since Draft King formed so, I would like to inquire with the other members as well. In regards to activities, who is it different from the previous band, Stereopony?

NOHANA:Right now I feel like we are doing more “band man” or band-like activities. If we go tour the countryside then we drive there ourselves and we also handle the sale of goods. In regards to the sound, we now have a member responsible solely for vocals, which is a big change.。The groove of lives is completely different too. Lately I have been told by people who didn’t know of Stereopony “You are cool” so I’m simply happy.

—You said you have places you want to have lives at after this, do you any plans for your goals?

erica: I want to dominate all live houses. From big places to small places.

SHIHO: I want to go to various more places. Not just the countryside and not just Japan. The feeling that I want to go to more places is strong. I want to do plenty more lives.

—Up until now in all of the live houses you’ve played, is there one that left an impression particularly?

SHIHO:In the previous band we were able to play overseas and had plenty of opportunities, but the one that left an impression with me was a live house in America. Everything under the stage was speakers. When I stepped on the bass drum there was a thud of air, it was a really amazing stage.

NOHANA:It’s a famous live house in America. When we were in Stereopony we were able to go tour in America so I think it would be interesting to tour around overseas.

—Your second one man live is on 3/28 but what kind of live do you want to make it?

MAO:We have already begun rehearsing head into March. “Let’s do it like this for QUATTRO, we want to do it like this” we are rehearsing throughout the days hoping that this ideal will be reflected in our sound.

NOHANA: Compared to the preceding 1st one man the stage will be bigger, and I want to show my performance on that stage. I want to freely enjoy myself and bring down the house.

erica:I would like it if more and more of my performances can be seen. So they’d say “That was cool” or “That was cute wasn’t it?” I want everyone to see all the different me’s.

SHIHO:Draft King’s first one man live was held last year in August. The timing for the one man was such that not many days had elapsed since our formation so each member had their own anxieties and we still had anxieties as a band. From there pile on a lot of lives, a year passing, we’ve hardened as a band, we are focusing and tackling each live one at a time and because of just that I think we will be able to this different than the last one man and we’ll be able to put on a hot live.
    In the interview, I caught a glimpse Draft King’s “Life-sized music enjoying figure” The cute girls’ performance was powerful and cute, their performance consists of a foundation of their feelings of truly enjoying music.

With only 1 year since their formation, Draft King are evolving with the vigor of a bird in flight. They are still going to evolve. No one can stop that. On 3/28 (Friday) witness as Draft King aims higher at Shibuya CLUB QUATTRO.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2014
  2. dereko92

dereko92 Administrator

Original Entry: http://www.beeast69.com/feature/

Original
    本誌BEEASTが自信を持ってプッシュする太鼓判アーティストの特集、第26弾に登場するのは4人組ガールズロックバンド・Draft Kingだ。

Draft Kingは2013年1月に結成。かつてステレオポニーとして第一線で活躍したNOHANA(Bass)とSHIHO(Drums)、そしてステレオポニーでサポートギターを務めていたMAOの3人を中心にスタート。その後にボーカルとして選ばれたericaを加えて本格的に活動を開始した。

結成当時から精力的にライブ活動を行い、6月には自主制作CD「Hey My Love」をリリース。ライブ会場の限定発売にも関わらず即日完売。その後もライブ活動を続けて、結成わずか8か月でShibuya eggmanにて初のワンマンライブ『~1st mission to the DK~in 渋谷eggman』を成功させた。そして来たる3月28日(金)に2ndワンマンライブ「~2nd mission to the DK~at SHIBUYA CLUB QUATTRO」が行われる。結成から1年を迎えたDraft Kingメンバーに、結成の経緯からここまでの活動、そして2ndワンマンライブへの意気込みを伺った。

—まず皆さんの音楽のルーツを伺いたいと思います。小さい頃はどんな音楽を聴いていましたか?

SHIHO:小学生の時は母親の勧めもありピアノを習っていて、聴く音楽もピアノ曲が中心でした。元々バンドにはあまり関心がないと言うか、そんなに詳しくないし、そもそもバンドって何だ?とっていう感じでした。

erica:私は小学生の頃から母の影響で、洋楽ばかり聴いていた気がします。特にBritney Spearsさんが大好きでした。

NOHANA:私は親がダンスの先生をやっていたので、最初は安室奈美恵さんとかのダンスミュージックがすごく好きでした。中学校に入ってからバンドサウンドを聴くようになりましたね。

MAO:母親がバンドミュージックが好きで、よく車の中で流していました。それの影響で私もバンドばかり聴いていました。特に好きだったのはBUMP OF CHICKENさんで、中学生の頃は毎日のように聴いていました。

—皆さん4人とも親御さんの影響が大きいのですね。では、いつ頃どんな理由でバンドを始めようと思ったのでしょうか?

NOHANA:中学生当時聴いていたORANGE RANGEさんに影響を受けてベースを始めました。また、中学生の時に女性のベーシストを観たことも大きく影響しています。バンドって男の人がやるイメージが強かったのですが、そのベーシストの方を観て「カッコイイな」って思ったんです。その時、「ガールズバンドやってみれば?」と周りからの勧めもあり、高校に入ってからバンドを組んで、本格的に活動を始めました。高校3年間はバンド三昧でしたね。

MAO:中学生の時に音楽室にあるギターを触ったのが最初です。興味本位で弾いているうちにちゃんとやりたいと思うようになり、親に頼んで地元のギター教室に通わせてもらいました。最初はアコースティックギターで、後にエレキギターに移行しました。それから高校生になってコピーバンドを組んで、活動していくうちにどんどんギターが好きになって…そして高校卒業後の進路を決める時、ギターを仕事にしたいと思い、上京しました。

SHIHO:私がバンドを始めたのは高校生になってからで、きっかけは高校に入学した時隣の席に座っていた子に誘われたことです。その「隣の子」というのが、前のバンド(=ステレオポニー)のボーカルだったんですよ。その時にNOHANAにも出会いました。

NOHANA:そうだね。

—それがステレオポニー結成の経緯なんですね。SHIHOさんはそれまで楽器経験がなかったところから、誘われたとはいえなぜバンドを始めようと思ったのですか?

SHIHO:「音楽に興味ない?スタジオに遊びに来てよ」って無理やり誘われて、とりあえず見るだけ見てみるかってなって。でも内心正直めんどくさいなって思いながら。でも、そこでたまたま先輩のバンドが練習しているのをチラっと見たらドラムがすごくかっこよかったんですよね。それで、私もドラムを叩いてみたい!という気持ちになって、バンドに入ることにしました。

—そうすると、SHIHOさんとNOHANAさんのバンド歴を振りかえると全てガールズバンドなんですね。対バン相手に珍しがられることもあるのでは?

NOHANA:そうですね…最初からガールズバンドとしてスタートしたので、自分の中では「バンド=ガールズバンド」が当たり前になっていますが、確かに普段聴いたりテレビで見たりするバンドは男性ばかりですね。ある時プリンセスプリンセスさんを見て、メジャーシーンでも女性だけで組んだバンドが活躍しているんだということを初めて知りました。

—ericaさんはこれまでどんなバンドを組んでいたのですか?

erica:私は、バンドのボーカルとして活動するのは実はDraft Kingが初めてなんです。もともと歌うことは大好きで、小さい頃から歌手になるのが夢でした。高校生の頃まで地元で歌いながら、色々なオーディションを受けました。そこで色々な人と出会っていく中でNOHANAさんたちに出会い、このバンドに入りました。

—そうだったのですね。では、ericaさんと出会う経緯も含めて、改めてDraft King結成の経緯を教えてください。

SHIHO:高校の時から始めたステレオポニーでデビューして、すごいスピードで活動させてもらって…そして、2012年に解散が決まりました。でもその後にバンド活動が自分の中からなくなる、ということを考えることができなかったんですよね。止まるなんて考えられなくて。

—バンドは続けていきたいんだという欲求が…

SHIHO:「バンドやりたいな」っていう感じというか…バンドをやらないという選択肢が自分の中でなかったんですよ。それが、このバンドの結成に至った経緯というか動機です。立ち止まるということは考えていなくて。それで、NOHANAと一緒にやろうって。

NOHANA:まだまだ叶えたい夢もありましたし、応援してくれる人のためにもまだ音楽をやりたいという気持ちがすごくあったので。私たちは経験があまりない時から一緒にやってきているので、またやるならと一緒にやりたいと思いましたね。SHIHOとはそういう話をして、「他のメンバーどうしよう」と考えた時に、ステレオポニーのサポートギターをしていたMAOの顔が浮かびました。ステレオポニーでは1年くらいしか一緒に活動していなかったんですけど、ずっと一緒に頑張ってくれていたので、一緒にやれたら楽しいんじゃないかなと思いました。それで近くのケンタッキーに呼び出して、ね。

MAO:(笑顔でうなずく)

SHIHO:それで、MAOをバンドに誘いました。そうしたら「はい!是非一緒にやりたいです!」って即答で答えてくれました。

—そこから今度はボーカル探しですね。

NOHANA:そうなんですよ!そこからがとても大変で。

—何が一番大変でしたか?

NOHANA:MAOは一緒にステージに立った経験があるので、どういう人とかはわかっていたんですね。でもボーカルは1から探したので、会った人全員に対してどんな人でどんな性格なのか、とか色々を短時間で見ないといけなかったですよ。でもericaは直観でしたね。何か違いましたね。色々な人を見たんですけど。凄い変わっていて面白いし、個性がありますし。

—どのようにericaさんと出会ったのですか?

NOHANA:ボーカル探しのために、まずは色々な人の紹介で色々なライブ映像を観て候補者を探していました。その中に、ericaが何かのオーディションを受けた時の映像があったのですが、その時直感で良いな~と思って、一緒にスタジオに入ってもらって、私たちの音に合わせて歌ってもらい、ライブを重ねていき、今に至りました。

—ericaさんのどういうところにグッときましたか?

SHIHO:本当に変わり者だったので、オーラがすごかったんですよ。変わり者オーラみたいのが(笑)。人を惹き付ける力があったんですよね。前に立ってもらう人なら、そういう人じゃないとだめだと思っていました。

—ということは、ericaさんにはある日突然声がかかったわけですね。

erica:そうですね。スタジオに呼ばれて、そこで演奏に合わせて歌いました。

—その時に歌った曲は何だったんですか?

SHIHO:前のバンドの曲ですね。その頃はまだDraft Kingとしてのオリジナル曲もなかったし、どんな歌声か聴いてみるということだったら、前のバンドで上に行かせてもらった曲なら知ってるかなと思って、オーダーしました。

—本人を前に「ステポ」の歌を歌うなんて、緊張しませんでしたか?

erica:緊張は、しましたね。

NOHANA:うそ~!あんまり緊張したように見えなかったよ(笑)

erica:いやいやいや。してましたよ(笑)。私栃木の日光出身で、標準語で喋っているつもりだったんですけど「すごいなまってるね」って言われてびっくりしました。

—では、その時に歌合わせをしてからすぐericaさんに決まったのですか?

SHIHO:2、3回くらい一緒にスタジオに入ったんですけど、最初の印象からericaでほぼ決定でしたね。何度か一緒にスタジオに入ったらその気になるかなと思って(笑)

NOHANA:雰囲気的に「いいえ」って言わせないようにしましたね(笑)

SHIHO:周りからどんどん固めていこうという感じで。

—もうその流れに任せるといった感じだったのでしょうか?

erica:そうですね。流れに乗りました。

—不安とかはありませんでしたか?

erica:不安はまったくなく、楽しいからこのまま突っ走ろうと思いました。やりたいことはこれだ!っていう感じで。
    nbsp;
    —晴れてメンバーも決まって、そこから曲作りスタートですね。曲を作る時にこだわっていることや、気をつけていることはありますか?

SHIHO:作詞に関してはNOHANAをはじめ、私やericaも書いていて、曲はMAOが作っています。私は作詞に関して、同年代や年下の人が聴いてもわかりやすい言葉を選ぶのが良いかなと思っています。でも正直あんまり気にせずに書いていますね。単語をバーッていっぱい出して、最後にわかりやすくすれば良いかなって。

—どういうことを歌詞にすることが多いですか?

SHIHO:前は自分の経験したことを歌詞にすることが多かったのですが、今はテレビとか本を見ていて面白いなと思ったフレーズをストックして、そこからインスピレーションを受けて自分の言葉を考えていきます。

—作曲はどのように行っていくのでしょうか?

MAO:私はまずオケから作って、そこからericaの歌声の良さが出るようなメロをつけていきます。ライブで映える曲を作るように意識しています。

—メンバーには作っていくどの段階で聴かせるんですか?

MAO:ほとんど完成した状態の時ですね。

SHIHO:MAOが作ってきてくれた曲を、スタジオでバンドとしてガッツリと作り上げていくといったことが最近は多くなってきました。スタジオで演奏していく中でアレンジをして、演奏するたびに曲を成長させていきます。

NOHANA:MAOとericaは今2人で同居しているので、ある程度の段階でericaには聴かせているようです。

erica:隣からギターの音が聴こえてくるな~って(笑)

—ericaさんはそれを聴いて何かアドバイスをするのですか?

erica:そうですね。出しやすいキーを伝えるようにしています。

—ボーカルに関して、何か普段から意識してやっていることはありますか?

erica:発声のトレーニングやのどのケアはもちろんですが、最近は表現力や感じ方を勉強しようかなと思って、本を読み始めました。主に推理小説です。

—Draft Kingが結成1年ということはericaさんのバンド歴も1年ということですが、バンドサウンドの曲を意識して聴くようになりましたか?

erica:対バンさせて頂くバンドの曲を聴いたり、有名なバンドのCDはよく聴くようになりましたね。色々な曲を聴くように意識するようになりました。

—ボーカルを目指す読者に向けて、のどのケアについても教えてください。

erica:寝る時に睡眠用のマスクをしたり、加湿器をつけたり。体調管理はしっかりしています。バンドを始めてから、今まで以上に意識しています。

—Draft Kingの結成1年ということで、他のメンバーの方にも伺いたいと思います。活動について、以前のバンド、ステレオポニーの時と変わったことはありますか?

NOHANA:以前よりバンドマンらしい、バンド活動というのを今しているように感じます。地方のツアーには自分たちで車を出して行くようになりましたし、物販も自分たちでやっています。音に関しては、ピンボーカルがいるということが大きな変化ですね。ライブでのグルーブも全然違いますし。最近はステレオポニーを知らなかった人たちからも「カッコイイね」と声をかけてくださることが増えたので、単純に嬉しいです。

—今後こういうところでライブしたい、といった目標というか構想はありますか?

erica:ライブハウスを制覇したいです。大きい所から小さい所まで。

SHIHO:もっと色々なところに行きたいですね。地方だけじゃなく、日本だけじゃなく。色々なところ行きたいなという強い気持ちがあります。いっぱいライブしたいですね。

—これまでに出演したライブハウスで、特に印象に残っている所はありますか?

SHIHO:前のバンドで海外に行かせてもらう機会がたくさんありましたが、その中でも印象に残っているのはアメリカのとあるライブハウスです。ステージの下が全部スピーカーなんですよ。バスドラを踏むと下からバフバフ風が鳴るっていうすごいステージがありました。

NOHANA:アメリカでは有名なライブハウスなんですよ。ステレオポニーではアメリカツアーを行うことができたので、またこのバンドでも海外を回れたら面白いなと思います。

—3月28日には2回目のワンマンライブがありますが、どのようなライブを作っていきたいですか?

MAO:既に3月に向けての練習を始めています。「クアトロのためにこうしよう、こうしたい」という理想を音として反映できるように、日々練習しています。

NOHANA:前回の1stワンマンに比べてステージが大きくなることもあり、このステージならではのパフォーマンスを魅せていきたいです。自由に楽しんで、弾き倒したいなと思っています。

erica:歌とかパフォーマンスをもっともっと見てもらえたらいいなと思います。「ここカッコイイだろう」とか「ここ可愛いでしょ?」みたいな。色々な自分たちを見てほしいです。

SHIHO:Draft Kingで最初のワンマンライブを昨年8月に開催しました。結成してからそんなに日も経っていないタイミングでのワンマンだったので、メンバーそれぞれすごく不安だったと思いますし、バンドとしてもまだまだだったと思うんですよね。そこからいっぱいライブを重ねて、1年経って、今はバンドとして固まってきていますし、1本1本のライブを集中して取り組めているので、それだけでも前回のワンマンとは違った熱いライブができると私は思っています。

English
    For the feature on artists which this magazine, BEEAST, has confidence in and pushed a seal of approval, the four piece girls rock band Draft King is being introduced.

Draft King was formed in January 2013. It started with NOHANA(Bass) and SHIHO(Drums)formerly active as Stereopony, and MAO who was serving as Stereopony’s support guitarist at its core. After that, Erica, who was chosen as vocals joined and activities began in earnest.

From the time of their formation they’ve had vigorous live activities, in June they released their self-produced CD “Hey my love”. Although sale was limited to the live venue, it sold out the same day. After that they continued live activities, then only 8 months after their formation they made their 1st one man live at Shibuya eggman “~1st mission to the DK~in Shibuya eggman” a success. And in the coming March on the 28th (Friday) their 2nd one man live, ”~2nd mission to the DK~at SHIBUYA CLUB QUATTRO” will take place. We asked the Draft King members, who are approaching one year since their formation about the details of their activities, and their enthusiasm about their 2nd one man live.

[VIDEO]

In January 2013 (Draft King) began with NOHANA(Bass), SHIHO(Drums), and MAO(Guitar) at it’s center. After that they added erica(Vocal), who was chosen by audition, and began activities as “Draft King(Dorafuto Kingu)”. The month after their formation they began vigorous live activities and in June they released their self-produced CD “Hey my love”. Although sale was limited to the live venue, it sold out the same day! After that only 8 months after their formation they made their 1st one man live at Shibuya eggman “~1st mission to the DK~in Shibuya eggman” a big success.

Armed with a rich variety of songs, casting a stone into today’s music scene and future girl bands, their second one man live has been decided! March 28th at Shibuya CLUB QUATTRO! They are steadily evolving so don’t miss it!!

—First I would like to ask about your musical roots. What music did you listen to when you were small?

SHIHO:In elementary school with my mother’s encouragement I learned to play the piano, the music I listened to was basically piano music. Originally I didn’t really have any interest in bands or rather I didn’t know much about them to begin with, “What are bands?”, it bad that type of feel.

erica: When I was in elementary school due to my Mother’s influence, I only felt like listening to nothing but foreign music. I loved Britney Spears in particular.

NOHANA: Since my parents were dance instructors, I really grew to love dance music like Amuro Namie. After I entered middle school I began to listen to the “band sound”.

MAO: My mother loved band musicians so those sounds flowed often inside of the car. With that influence I only listened to bands. In particular I liked BUMP OF CHICKEN and I listened to them every day in middle school.

—The influence you 4 got from your parents was big wasn’t it? Well, since when and for what reasons did you think you would like to form a band?

NOHANA: In middle school I listened to ORANGE RANGE and under their influence, I began playing the bass. And then again while I was in middle school a female bassist I saw really had a big influence on me. I had the strong image that bands were something that only guys do, but seeing that bassist I really thought “Man, she’s cool”. After that time there were plenty of suggestions, “Why don’t you try forming a band?”, then when I entered high school I formed a band and began activities in earnest. By my third year of high school I was absorbed in the band.

MAO:The start was when I touched a guitar in an instrument shop when I was in middle school. Out of curiosity, while playing it I thought I would like to properly do so, I asked my parents and they let me attend a class in my hometown. At first it was just with an acoustic guitar, then later I switched over to electric. After that when I became a high school student, I formed a copy band and as we performed I grew to like the guitar more and more…And then after my graduation ceremony when it became time to decide on my career, I thought I would like to make the guitar into my job and I moved to Tokyo.

SHIHO: The first time I was in a band was in high school, the opportunity came when I enrolled in school and was invited by a girl who sat next to me. That “Girl next to me” was the last band’s (= Stereopony) vocals. At that time I met NOHANA.

NOHANA:That’s right.

— And that’s how Stereopony was formed wasn’t it? Up until that point SHIHO had no experience with instruments so why did you think you would like to form a band?

SHIHO: I was forcibly invited with a “Aren’t you interested in music? Come and visit the studio”, and I thought I would just go and look. But truthfully I was really thinking it was a pain. But occasionally I happened to glance at a senior’s band practicing and I thought that the drums were really cool. And at that point I thought, I want to try and play the drums too! Then I joined the band.

— That being said, SHIHO and NOHANA’s experience with bands has only been girl bands. Was that a rare thing among the bands you played with?

NOHANA:That’s right… From the start I was in a girls band so inside of course I felt like “Bands = Girl Bands” but I certainly only heard and saw bands on TV that were only men. At that time I saw Princess Princess and even though they performing in the major scene they were comprised of women.

-Up to this point what band had Erica formed?

erica: Truth be told, Draft King is the first time I have been active as a band’s vocals. From the start I’ve loved singing and it’s been my dream to be a singer ever since I was small. When I was in high school, I sang in my hometown and while I was doing that I took various auditions. In all the various people I met, I met NOHANA and everyone else, and joined the band.

—So that was it huh? Well then please tell me about the particulars of how you met erica, and once again please tell me the details of Draft King’s formation.

SHIHO:From the time I was in high school, we started Stereopony, had our debut, and we were able to be active with incredible speed…and, in 2012 our break up was decided. But after that the thought that band activities would disappear from within me couldn’t surface. I wasn’t able to consider something like stopping.

—And that desire to continue playing in a band…

SHIHO:More than a feeling that “I want to play in a band”…it was more like within me there was not an option not to play in a band. That was the motive in starting this band. I couldn’t consider standing still. So, I told NOHANA “Let’s do this together”.

NOHANA: I still had dreams I wanted to fulfill and for the sake of the people who supported us, I wanted to continue music, those feelings were strong. From the time we didn’t have very much experience we had been playing together so, if we are going to play again we want to play together again. I had that kind of talk with SHIHO and when we thought “What should we do about other members?” Stereopony’s support guitarist, MAO’s face came up. We were only active together in Stereopony for less than a year but, she was working hard with us so I thought it would be fun if we played together. At that point we called the closest Kentucky [KFC].

MAO:(Nods while smiling)

SHIHO: Then we invited MAO to join the band. When we did we got the immediate answer “Yes! By all means, let’s play together!”

—And from there you had to search for vocals.

NOHANA:That’s right! From there it was really difficult.

—What was the hardest part?

NOHANA:MAO had experience standing on stage with us so we knew what kind of person she was. But for vocals we had to start from 1 so we had to think about all the people we had met, things like what kind of person and with what kind of personality all in a short amount of time. But erica was a hunch. Something was different about her. We saw various people but. She was really different, interesting, and individual.

—How did you meet erica?

NOHANA: To look for our vocals, we searched through candidates by various introductions and by watching live videos. In all of that there was one of erica’s audition videos, and at that time I had a hunch and thought she was great, she came into the studio for us and we all played while she sang, pile on our lives and here we are.

-At what point did you feel firmly about erica?

SHIHO:She was really unusual to us so her aura was amazing. She had the aura of an unusual person (Laughs). She had the power to draw people in. If we are choosing the person who is going to stand in front of us, she had to be that kind of person or it wouldn’t be any good.

-And so, on that day you had erica sing for you.

erica:that’s right. I was called into the studio and then we all performed together while I sang.

-What was the song you sang at that time?

SHIHO: It was a song from the previous band. At that time we didn’t have any original Draft King songs and thinking about what singing voice we should try and hear, we wondered if it was the song that allowed us to go higher in the previous band then perhaps we would know.

— Did singing a “Stepo” song in front of them make you nervous?

erica: I was, nervous.

NOHANA:That’s a lie! She didn’t really look like she was nervous (Laughs)

erica:No, no, no. I was (Laughs). I’m from Nikko in Tochigi so I intended to use the standard dialect but I was surprised when I was told “You have a really strong accent”.

— Then, after playing together did you immediately decide on erica?

SHIHO:We came into the studio about 2 or 3 times but from the start from our impression we had basically decided on erica. I wondered whether it would bother her if we came into the studio a few more times (Laughs)

NOHANA: We made it seem like we wouldn’t say “no” (Laughs)

SHIHO:We made it seems like it will get progressively harder.

- So you just left it up to that flow?

erica: That’s right. And I rode that flow.

-Did you have any anxieties?

erica:I had no anxieties, it was fun so I thought that I would like to continue running at this pace. It had a “This is what I want to do!” kind of feel.

—When the members were openly decided, you started song writing. When you make songs is there anything you obsess over or anything you’re careful of?

SHIHO:Lyrics are started by NOHANA and erica or myself also write, the music is made by MAO. In regards to lyric writing I figure it is better to choose words that people my age or younger can understand easily. But honestly I write without worrying about that. The plenty of words come to me suddenly, then at the end I wonder about whether it is easy to understand.

— Are there a lot of things you can make into song lyrics?

SHIHO:There are plenty of things I have experienced that I make into song lyrics but, now I stock up on phrases I see on TV or see in a book that I think are interesting and use them as inspiration to think of my own words.

—How does the music writing proceed?

MAO:I start with the orchestra and then from there I make a melody that will bring out the best of erica’s singing voice. I make the music thinking about making a song that will shine during lives.

—At what stage do you let all the members hear it?

MAO:When it’s basically complete.

SHIHO:We take the songs MAO makes, and then as a band build upon it in the studio, that’s how it is done often. We do the arranging while we are playing in the studio and while we play, we improve the music.

NOHANA:MAO and erica are living together right now so, whatever degree of completion, erica can hear it

erica:I wonder if the guitar can be heard next door (Laughs)

— Hearing that, does, erica give any kind of advice?

erica: Yeah. I convey easy to sing keys and such.

— In regards to vocals, is there anything you are usually mindful of?

erica:Voice training and throat care of course but, lately I’ve been wondering whether I should work on my expressive and sensory power, so I started reading a books. They’re mainly mystery novels.

-It has been 1 year since Draft King formed so erica’s band history stretches back a year but, have you already become accustomed to “band sound” music?

erica:I’ve listened to the bands we’ve played with and listen to famous bands’ CDs. I have grown accustomed to hearing various types of music.

—For our readers who are aiming to become vocals, please teach us about throat care.

erica: Wearing a sleeping mask and turning on a humidifier. And take good care of your body. Since this is my first band, that’s all I know now.

— It’s been a year since Draft King formed so, I would like to inquire with the other members as well. In regards to activities, who is it different from the previous band, Stereopony?

NOHANA:Right now I feel like we are doing more “band man” or band-like activities. If we go tour the countryside then we drive there ourselves and we also handle the sale of goods. In regards to the sound, we now have a member responsible solely for vocals, which is a big change.。The groove of lives is completely different too. Lately I have been told by people who didn’t know of Stereopony “You are cool” so I’m simply happy.

—You said you have places you want to have lives at after this, do you any plans for your goals?

erica: I want to dominate all live houses. From big places to small places.

SHIHO: I want to go to various more places. Not just the countryside and not just Japan. The feeling that I want to go to more places is strong. I want to do plenty more lives.

—Up until now in all of the live houses you’ve played, is there one that left an impression particularly?

SHIHO:In the previous band we were able to play overseas and had plenty of opportunities, but the one that left an impression with me was a live house in America. Everything under the stage was speakers. When I stepped on the bass drum there was a thud of air, it was a really amazing stage.

NOHANA:It’s a famous live house in America. When we were in Stereopony we were able to go tour in America so I think it would be interesting to tour around overseas.

—Your second one man live is on 3/28 but what kind of live do you want to make it?

MAO:We have already begun rehearsing head into March. “Let’s do it like this for QUATTRO, we want to do it like this” we are rehearsing throughout the days hoping that this ideal will be reflected in our sound.

NOHANA: Compared to the preceding 1st one man the stage will be bigger, and I want to show my performance on that stage. I want to freely enjoy myself and bring down the house.

erica:I would like it if more and more of my performances can be seen. So they’d say “That was cool” or “That was cute wasn’t it?” I want everyone to see all the different me’s.

SHIHO:Draft King’s first one man live was held last year in August. The timing for the one man was such that not many days had elapsed since our formation so each member had their own anxieties and we still had anxieties as a band. From there pile on a lot of lives, a year passing, we’ve hardened as a band, we are focusing and tackling each live one at a time and because of just that I think we will be able to this different than the last one man and we’ll be able to put on a hot live.
    In the interview, I caught a glimpse Draft King’s “Life-sized music enjoying figure” The cute girls’ performance was powerful and cute, their performance consists of a foundation of their feelings of truly enjoying music.

With only 1 year since their formation, Draft King are evolving with the vigor of a bird in flight. They are still going to evolve. No one can stop that. On 3/28 (Friday) witness as Draft King aims higher at Shibuya CLUB QUATTRO.

3. Rafayui

Rafayui Dedicated Stereopony Fan

i've made Indonesian Translation for this..., for members from Indonesia to read it..:)
    made it in .pdf... not perfect though but i think is enough.., i'm translate it based on the english translation up there.., so very big thanks to crimsonknight4 , for the translation...

for indonesian member whose read it , i want youre coment so i can fix it later... may be..haha, so here is the link..

bit.ly/1mKDBRm

thank you..c.u later....haha

4. rsniteblaze

rsniteblaze Administrator

Trying to translate the title into English with Google Translate but it makes absolutely no sense... A little help @crimsonknight4 lol

5. crimsonknight4

crimsonknight4 Global Moderator Translator

BEEAST Seal of approval series 26th Artist『Draft King』

rsniteblaze likes this.