1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reason for Stereopony disbanding?

Discussion in 'Stereopony Discussion' started by crimsonknight4, Jun 19, 2013.

1. crimsonknight4

crimsonknight4 Global Moderator Translator

I noticed something interesting which is that on Twitter Aimi has not communicated with Nohana or Shiho, while the latter 2 do. Maybe they had a falling out, because you would think they would still be friends right? Of course, this is based only on information available to me, I'm just spitballing here. What do you guys think?

2. jona DJ

jona DJ Dedicated Stereopony Fan

interesting thread.

hmm, for me i think it's natural.
    they're basically have different life now. it's not like they're not friends, but it happens if you just 'don't have things to do' with them.

it has happened to me too. i have a friend, best friend actually. We went to the same school until 6th grade. she transferred to other school (that's not really far away). We don't hate each other and still 'BFF's', but still we didn't really talk to each other, online nor offline (you know what i mean). sure, we hang out one two times, but not really that often like friends do. until things changed and we got into the same game xD. the point is, i don't think that it's really a big deal.

and also, twitter is not the only way to communicate right? they might actually still call or text each other or whatsoever.

3. wannasalad

wannasalad Dedicated Stereopony Fan

I've thought about that too, to be honest. Going through the videos I've seen of them performing in 2012, and comparing them to previous performances I had access to, I noticed that their dynamics seemed to change on stage. As if Aimi was slowly drifting apart from them or something. I don't know. Maybe I'm just seeing things.

Nice topic though!

4. rsniteblaze

rsniteblaze Administrator

This is a topic of discussion that has been going on for a while. You should check out some of the posts from the old forum: http://forum.verygooddays.com/topic/4945506/1/

Anyways, the popular theory I've heard from my U.S. Tour friends is that the EVANPONY collaboration may have caused them to disband. On their first visit to meet with Evan, only NOHANA and SHIHO went since AIMI had to stay behind to get her throat checked out. So, it might be possible that NOHANA and SHIHO agreed to something that AIMI didn't like, which would explain the whole "We all have different goals" scenario and thought it would be best to disband.

Of course there might be some other factors but the EVANPONY collaboration was probably the straw that broke the camel's back. It's not Evan's fault obviously since he really wanted to help Stereopony. Just bad luck for him.

And since this topic is clearly about Stereopony, I'm moving this topic.

5. wannasalad

wannasalad Dedicated Stereopony Fan

Thank you for the link, RS!

6. Destonus

Destonus Global Moderator

That is a good point, that they haven't talked to each other on Twitter since the breakup. Jona makes a good point also that Twitter isn't the only way to communicate, so they do probably text or call each other to see how they're doing.

I really doubt that they've completely severed all ties with each other JUST because they're not making music together anymore. RS may be right in thinking that when Shiho and Nohana went to see Evan and Aimi couldn't because of her throat, not knowing when Aimi would have surgery or how long after it would take her to recover so the two of them agreed to do something with him because Aimi was the wild card here. He wanted to help them, but he wasn't sure on Aimi because she couldn't come and obviously couldn't make her voice heard. Maybe he had only a small window with which to come up with an idea, put a song/video together and then release it before he had other projects he had to work on, and couldn't wait for Aimi, so he worked something out with Shiho and Nohana, Aimi may have found out before Shiho and Nohana could tell her themselves, and felt betrayed or angry that someone other than her bandmates had told her, and not only that, things had been decided without her input or consent.

It's very hard to collaborate with someone when you only have 2/3 of the band sitting in front of you and the other 1/3 is getting her throat checked out back in Japan and can't be there to contribute to the conversation. I once tried to play a pen-and-paper RPG over instant messager from school, one was in Korea because he was teaching English there and the other one lived in Greece, all three of us in different time zones so it was difficult finding a time when all three of us were not only online but conscious enough to play.

Now factor in something like throat surgery, which will put Aimi out of action for a considerable time, where she won't be able to sing at all and it'll be slow getting it back, and you as a interested producer, only have a limited window of time to work with them before you have to go back to your other clients or something. That, I'm not sure how well Shiho took taking one for the band when she's said that she's not interested in doing lead vocals at all and then suddenly being asked to because Aimi's voice is still coming back. Then you have Nohana, who would jump at the chance to do lead vocals but perhaps their producers thought it was better for Nohana to sing solo (they couldn't hear her), or tenor (twelve miles from here), so in the end Shiho gets saddled with not only playing drums but singing. She still doesn't sing in Draft King even though she's the band leader, Erica and Hiddy do.

Are there any bands you can think of with a bass player as lead vocalist? I certainly can't think of any, but I could be wrong.

RS could also be right that the seeds of discontent were already brewing in the band and Evanpony was the straw that broke the camel's back. But I would think that Aimi would have told them to at the very least text her (since she obviously couldn't speak) if Evan asked Shiho and Nohana something very big like "Evan says he only has a small window that he can work with us as a band and can't wait forever for you to recover if you need surgery. Should we still do it?"
    Or Shiho and Nohana already had ideas to strike out on their own, and if Evan said he couldn't wait on Aimi because of scheduling constraints, and maybe couldn't get in touch with Aimi in time, the two of them decided together that 2/3 of Stereopony working with Evan was better than 0/3 of Stereopony and that was the final mutinous straw.

But I'm just playing devil's advocate here. Maybe they do stay in touch, and want the other one(s) to succeed, or maybe both sides want the other to crash and burn so they can say, "I told you so." Who knows. We'll never know why Saki left, and we'll probably never really know why Stereopony broke up. We can only speculate.

7. Jerec

Jerec Dreamer

Just to answer your question about bassists who do vocals..

MARIA's two bassists were the main vocalists.

And while this is a unique arrangement, L'arc's rearrangement, P'unk-en-Ciel, made their bassist into the vocalist.

8. trafalgar515

trafalgar515 Dreamer

:m127: nice theories or speculations...

but i believe it's all for greater good.
    there are so many good bands in japan decided to disband.
    but from what i've seen, it's because their different opinions or different music styles, then they decided to join another band or form a new one.

Sorrawut likes this.
  9. Sorrawut

Sorrawut Stereopony Fan

I think They were disbanded for business reasons.
    Since late single did not Sell Well as before,The last single with EVAN can sold only 1,0xx copies,
    Sony Record may hesitate to invest on STEREOPONY.

Besides, Aimi did need to rest to recover herself from throat surgery. She can't work too hard for a moment.

I was sad when i knew they are disbanded. But now, I think they did the right thing.
    Disbandment can keep STEREOPONY in your mind before it's fall down.
    And all members can try something new without damage to the brand STEREOPONY if they make a mistake.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014