1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

User Pruning

Discussion in 'Very Good Days News' started by rsniteblaze, Mar 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rsniteblaze

rsniteblaze Administrator

Hey guys,

I finally figured out how to delete all those hundreds of spam accounts and trying a new spambot countermeasure. Basically, any account that had 0 posts and didn't answer the "What is your favorite Stereopony song?" field was deleted, unless I personally knew who operated the account. So, if I deleted anyone's account on accident then sorry. (But then again you should have at least posted an introduction topic, right?)

So, it looks like we're back down to 81 registered members.

2. Jerec

Jerec Dreamer

I guess I better get to answering that..

3. Destonus

Destonus Global Moderator

I think you're OK Jerec. But I'd add any one with a gobbleygook username to the chopping block and maybe require at least one post on the site somewhere within a week or they're automatically canned after asking why. People are busy, I understand that. But no response, bye-bye.

4. rsniteblaze

I think we're good for now.

After doing a bit of searching, it seems that those captcha codes are ineffective for keeping out spambots. So far we haven't had any spam accounts registering, which is awesome. Every day for the last few weeks we've had at least 2 to a dozen spam accounts registering onto the forum.

5. Jerec

Jerec Dreamer

This is more theoretical because I don't know what products to suggest to you, but I've read that a new simpler form of captcha that simply involves asking a question, like "What is 2+2?", is becoming more popular than retyping a distorted string of letters and numbers because they're both easier to answer by humans and still difficult to impossible for bots.

6. rsniteblaze

Yeah, that's what I replaced the captcha image with. But instead of "What is 2+2?" the question is "What is the name of Stereopony's drummer?" to make it more appropriate for the forum.

7. Destonus

Destonus Global Moderator

True, a bot wouldn't know that. Although the answer to the question is right on the site.

We might be able to deter spammers and bots but I really wish we had more members who contributed than lurkers...

I don't know...maybe admins or a global mod could send a welcoming PM to new members in hopes that they'll introduce themselves in the forum and maybe actually contribute to discussions?

8. jona DJ

jona DJ Dedicated Stereopony Fan

^that'll be good, 'cuz sometimes people that new to forums don't really understand what to do in a forum. like they should introduce their selves etc. (like i was.)

9. kenox

kenox Stereopony Fan

Kind of late for this, but I haven't visited since before the board migration last year (so maybe over a year) and my account ceased to exist.

Also I noticed that the topics from the past seem to be gone. Did the board migration not go smoothly?

10. rsniteblaze

It proved to be an impossible task for Arcluna to do. We used ZetaBoards for the old forum and they don't support migration. So we had to start from scratch. The old forum is still accessible at http://forum.verygooddays.com/ but you can no longer post there. It's read-only.

11. kenox

kenox Stereopony Fan

It's too bad that VGD had to be restarted from scratch, but it's good to see that the old forums still exist as an archive.

I feel like VGD won't be as active going forward since the members of Stereopony have moved on to separate projects. Activity in the Do As Infinity forum dropped off after 2005, and it has never really returned even after Ryo and Tomiko started performing as DAI again in 2008.

Having only a small community of active members is fine too, though it's probably not really my place to say this since I usually only visit VGD once every few months.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.