1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Band 7!! (Seven Oops)

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by dereko92, Apr 16, 2013.

1. GeoFreak

GeoFreak Stereopony Fan

Brazil actually has the largest population of Japanese outside of Japan, and recently there have been more Japanese Brazilians immigrating back to Japan.

SCANDAL invited 7!!, FLiP, and Stereopony to perform together at Band Yarou Yo last year. The members of each band also occasionally Tweet back and forth among one another (Tomomi and Maiko most recently), and go to each other's concerts. SCANDAL was at Stereopony's final live, and I know Mami herself went to see them in Hokkaido once too. These girl bands support one another, so it's great to see them getting along!

2. Destonus

Destonus Global Moderator

~~

Okay, another question. The band writes its name as "7!!" (which as you explained spells Nanae), but why is it pronounced "Seven Oops?" It still puzzles me because the Youtube vids before they got their channel were credited to 7!! or 7 Oops, but now I know is "7!!" is how you write it and "7 Oops" is how you pronounce it.

Maybe one of them (other than Nanae) figured out that "7 !!" spells "Nanae", were like "Wait, you named the group after yourself?!" and Nanae was like, "Oops?" :m140: So to keep people from putting two and two together (or the Japanese word for seven and the Japanese expression of surprise together) they decided that the band would be pronounced "7 oops" and remain a mystery to gaijin everywhere until they went to Fanime.

They just get more interesting by the moment. They're from Okinawa where all the "good bands" (at least from my experience) come from (Scandal and ONE OK ROCK are the exceptions, but Scandal's got Kansai cred, which is where the brilliant green and L'arc~en~Ciel are from. It just seems that from my experience with Japanese bands, I seem to become fans of those that come from the Kyoto or Osaka area, are from a launching point for commuters to those cities like AKFG, or Okinawa. Let's look at the tally thus far. Stereopony, FLiP, and now 7 ! !. I rest my own case.)

They have a bassist who's half Mexican, and unlike some other bassists I know of...::coughcough::Nohana and Tomomi coughcough::, CHOSE bass, but can play guitar and didn't GIVE UP on it because six strings was TOO hard.

Nanae and Maiko are the same age and have the EXACT same birthdate. (Now we need to ask them who's TECHNICALLY older the same way twins are).

You would THINK that the majority of the drooling and marriage requests would be going Nanae's way, but they're actually going towards Maiko, who has boys AND girls who think she's cool/cute. (I think Nanae probably gets her fair share of fan worship too, it's just that Maiko's shrine can pack more people in to worship at her altar. :D ) That, and with two guys in the group too, their fan worship can cover both sexes, allowing both males and females to be able to admire/emulate/propose marriage to them, compared to all girl groups like SCANDAL or FLiP or ::sniff:: Stereopony (Seriously, when I read they were breaking up I couldn't bring myself to listen to them for a few days.)

7 !! also has the power to put me into a good mood or a better mood just by putting on "Fallin Love". It's my favorite song by them, then Lovers, then Yawamushi San(I liked the song before, but every time I hear it I think of the other three trying to de-humbug Nanae in the video) Although all the songs on Doki Doki are good.

Okay, hopefully I got my post across before my fingers got minds of their own...

3. GeoFreak

GeoFreak Stereopony Fan

No idea why they chose "oops" as their "translation" for "eh?!"/"!!". No matter the name, their music is still awesome.

One look at Maiko's new Twitter profile pic, and I think you'll see why she's popular:
    [​IMG]
    (She's eating a cucumber)

She's the only one with a Twitter account, and I think she blogs the most by far. She also has a really high speaking voice, whereas Nanae's is surprisingly low despite how high she sings. Maiko also definitely fits the kawaii genki girl image; just look up any interview with them.

4. Destonus

Yeah, being the band's only Twitter user and unofficial blogmaster does kinda give her unrestricted access to the fans (does she often Tweet back directly?)

By kawaii genki girl you mean like Tomomi and Nohana right? (Well Tomo mainly; she's the only one who said how old she thought her dad was after giving her own age in an interview). Nohana...let's just say that in every interview I've ever read so far, Aimi and Shiho will be answering a question asked, and Nohana will just blurt something out that probably made Shiho and Aimi roll their eyes and be like "She did it again, we can't take her anywhere can we?"

Any links to interviews with 7 !!, preferably that are in English (if they exist)?

5. dereko92

dereko92 Administrator

She's actually very active on Twitter in terms of band news and replying to fans. She even replies in great English! I think by kawaii genki he means like ultra-energetic, on a whole tier of energy above Tomomi or Nohana. I'd say she's more like Sayako or Yuu from Negoto. Even though she doesn't sing much she does most of the talking.

6. Destonus

She replies to people in English? Instead of Engrish? Wow! ::adds to list of reasons 7 !! is cool:: I wonder if people Tweet them in Spanish and have Keita reply for them.

@Geo: Before you explained I thought she was drinking something...

And she out-genki's Tomomi? That's hard to do. Nohana...I don't know about Nohana. The only one who can tell us about Nohana is Nohana.

For some reason even though she's probably changed it since, I picture Maiko with the hair in the Fallin Love video. That image is like burned in my mind.

When I get news feed stuff from FLiP's page it's Sayaka that does them. Of all the bassists I know, she's the only one I can hear clearly in their songs. But I guess the band might be more active on Twitter. Still impatiently waiting for Love Toxcity!

Hrm, how can we get this discussion back to 7 !! and off of their island mates...

Does anyone have links to interviews with the band, preferably subtitled or in English?

7. GeoFreak

GeoFreak Stereopony Fan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaceJ4Koakc
    Here's a short preview message they did for their appearance on FCI Morning Eye, a Japanese language variety show based in New York. The FCI website also had the full video of the episode in which they appeared, but I can't find it right now.

And Maiko does sing quite a bit, just not lead vocals. She does backing vocals in many songs. (I love female dual-part harmony)

8. Destonus

I love that subtitle about the band having an attractive voice! (Nanae's)

I see what you mean between her voice and Maiko's now.

Right, Sweet Drive is the one where they're in the bus. I love the part where one of the guys is driving, wonders why he hasn't heard anything in a few minutes, and glances over his shoulder to find 3/4's of the band fast asleep. :D

Maybe where Maiko Tweets back in English, we can ask her why they CALL themselves "7 oops" but they write it as 7 !! I guess because it spells "Nanae", and they don't want the focus to be on her where they're a band.

Maybe we'll get an answer? Just a possibility.

9. Destonus

Bumping to see if we can get something going here. What are your favorite songs by 7!! ? I understand their body of work is very limited, but doesn't mean you can't try!

My favs:

1. Fallin Love
    2. Lovers
    3. Sweet Drive
    4. Yawamushi San
    5. Sayonara Memory

Go! List!

10. dereko92

dereko92 Administrator

Top 5;

1. さよならメモリー (さよならメモリー)
    2. スウィート・ドライヴ (スウィート・ドライヴ)
    3. 虹色 (スウィート・ドライヴ)
    4. 愛の言葉 (バイバイ)
    5. ラヴァーズ (ラヴァーズ)

Their first album was definitely a winner IMO, great tracks throughout the whole album.

11. GeoFreak

GeoFreak Stereopony Fan

1. Yowamushi-san
    2. Bye Bye
    3. Nijiiro
    4. Kimi to Watashi no Ballad
    5. Fallin Love

I started to like Nijiiro a LOT more recently. I just love Nanae and Maiko's vocal duet in the chorus.

12. Annisa

Annisa Dreamer

Maiko is my fave member from 7!! and yeah she's active in replying fans' tweets...she also replied to my tweets though
    i just love her cute voice, honestly i never thought that she have that kind of voice hahaha

13. dereko92

dereko92 Administrator

Updated main post

14. jona DJ

jona DJ Dedicated Stereopony Fan

hey, theyre releasing their 10th single "オレンジ'" (orange) released on 2015.02.11. the title song is the ending theme of anime ”四月は君喫” (shigatsu wa kimi no uso*)
    [​IMG]

and the song "アオイハナビラ” (aoi hanabira) is the ending theme of the anime live aciton "ao haru ride" realeased in the compilation album released in 2014.12.10
    [​IMG]

source: 7!! official line

there are video of aoi hanabira and orange, but it's only available in Japan..

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014