1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Band FLiP General Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by Destonus, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Destonus

Destonus Global Moderator

[​IMG]

FLiP is a Japanese all-girl rock band formed in Naha, Okinawa, in 2005. They released their debut indies mini-album Haha kara Umareta Hinekure no Uta on June 25, 2008, followed by Kanshou Chuudoku on May 20, 2009.

They made their major debut under DefSTAR RECORDS with DEAR GIRLS, released February 3, 2010. The album's production was done by Junji Ishiwatari, a former Supercar member who has already worked with well-known rock bands 9mm Parabellum Bullet and Chatmonchy.

Members:

[​IMG]

Vocal & Guitar : Sachiko Tonaki(サチコ(渡名喜幸子))
    Birthday: 24 May 1988
    Type of blood: A
    One word: We would like to encounter the many people

[​IMG]

Guitar & Chorus : Yuko Nagadou(ユウコ(長堂祐子))
    Birthday: 11 March 1989
    One word: Love and respect and gentleness!

[​IMG]

Bass & Chorus: Sayaka Miyagi(サヤカ(宮城佐野香))
    Birthday: 14 April 1988
    One word: Yutaka everyday

[​IMG]

Drum & Chorus : Yuumi Tamaki(ユウミ(玉城裕未))
    Birthday: 31 March 1989
    One word: Make Effort

Studio Albums

Michi evolution (未知evolution)

[​IMG]

DFCL-1778

Sony Music Distribution
    First album release from FLiP produced by Junji Ishiwatari. Includes an intro theme of the TV anime series "Yorinuki Gintama-San," "Kaa to Niago," and more for 13 tracks total.

1. OH DARLING!
    2. KARTO NIAGO
    3. AME NO ONNA
    4. NAGAI KISS
    5. YUREUTA
    6. SU.TE.KI REACTION
    7. KAKUMEI ZENYA
    8. LAILA
    9. BUTTERFLY
    10. SHIKATTE
    11. KHAZANA
    12. HEISEI JURASSIC
    13. AKANE

XX emotion
    [​IMG]

[2012.05.16]
    DFCL-1890

Sony Music Distribution

Second full-length album release from FLiP featuring intro theme of anime series "Gintama" and more for over 11 tracks total (subject to change).

1. CHERRY BOMB
    2. WALTHER
    3. EMIMOA
    4. WONDERLAND
    5. EVERYTHING IS ALRIGHT
    6. YUKEMURI DJ
    7. SAIGO NO BANSAN
    8. SHUT UP. MEN!
    9. HOSHII MONO HA
    10. DEMO MAYBE
    11. KONYA TSUKI DE AIMASHOU
    12. FUTSUTSUKA SHOUJO
    13. GHOST BUSTER

LOVE TOXiCiTY

[​IMG]

[2013.06.26]
    DFCL-2016
    Sony Music Distribution

Third album from FLiP includes 11 tracks total.

1. TARANTULA
    2. COMING OUT
    3. NIL ADMIRARI
    4. RASPBERRY RHAPSODY
    5. DARKISH TEDDY BEAR
    6. A WILL
    7. FOREVER NIGHT
    8. DEAR MISS MIRROR
    9. THE DRIFT OF 2*10 9 L.Y.
    10. LOG IN `RABBIT HOLE`
    11. BAT BOY! BAT GIRL!

Mini-Albums
    [2008.06.25] Haha Kara Umareta Hinekure no Uta (母から生まれた捻くれの唄) (indies)
    [2009.05.20] Kanshou Chuudoku (感傷中毒) (indies)
    [2010.02.03] DEAR GIRLS
    [2010.09.15] mulu mole
    Singles
    [2011.02.23] Karto Niago (カートニアゴ)
    [2011.12.07] Hoshii Mono wa (ホシイモノハ)
    [2012.02.08] Wonderland (ワンダーランド)

Digital Singles
    [2012.02.27] Wonderland (Gintama Opening Version) (ワンダーランド (銀魂オープニング Version))
    Compilations / Other
    [2008.07.23] Okinawan Life-sized Music Anettai Showcase (#2 Haha Kara Umareta Hinekure no Uta)
    [2011.06.22] Gintama Best 2 (#14 Karto Niago)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  2. Jerec

Jerec Dreamer

I love this band, I found them some months ago through this site (thanks!), more or less because I could use yet another Japanese girl band to listen to.. and they filled a niche that SCANDAL and Stereopony do not.

It really is disappointing I can't find a whole lot about this band outside of this particular thread in this forum. No reviews, no other threads of discussion, mostly just a few small articles on their American performances.

3. Destonus

It is very disappointing Jerec. Nothing even really on Generasia. They're really under the radar for some bizzare reason even though they've done songs for Gintama and they've been at it for 7 years. If they ever come to a con in the US and I find out they're going to be there, I will be first in line for the Q&A and take copious notes on them!

I guess unlike Stereopony, who has the connections with anime and several cons under their belt, and Scandal who's an all encompassing phenomenon(complete with costume changes), and all three do write their own music and lyrics (Scandal used to just do lyrics but they've been doing some melody writing too lately), FLiP prefers to let their music do the talking rather than anything else. They've collaborated with Stereopony and Scandal, and get booked to Girl's Factory, and have quite a concert schedule from the looks of their website, but all their links loop back to the official site, so...nothing from there.

The only thing I've managed to find is their Japanese Wikipedia page, http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLiP.

I'm going to see if one of the translators here can make it out from anything but jibberish.

4. GeoFreak

GeoFreak Stereopony Fan

I got Michi Evolution while I was in Japan last month. It was the first time I bought an album without really knowing many of an artist's songs, but I liked Kazana a lot so I thought I'd give it a shot. I definitely don't regret the purchase! Sachiko's voice is so powerful, and I love the guitar riffs.

5. Destonus

I've been reading through the FLiP thread over on SH, Sagami over there has seen them like 25 times, apparently they really did decide to form a band at a McDonalds in Naha...

They also know Scandal and our girls pretty well since they've performed together.

I'm still not sure when they're going to release a new album because they've been busy with shows.

Now if we could just get them to appear OUTSIDE of Japan...

6. dereko92

dereko92 Administrator

I got to see them at a free Live at Shibuya AX in December
    They were awesome in every aspect! I do wish it was a One-Man Tour live though.

And yes they played Kazana and- KAATO!!! NIAGO!!!

7. Destonus

You were damned lucky, man. FLiP, Negoto, AND Stereopony? I'm jealous!

Of course they did Kazana and Kaato Naigo! It wouldn't be FLiP if they didn't!

8. dereko92

dereko92 Administrator

Also LiSA and Miwa :D

But yeh, the mosh was pretty intense, almost lost my glasses

9. Destonus

Wow. It sounds like you had a very exciting trip to Japan over the holidays! How were the other two shows?

10. dereko92

dereko92 Administrator

I was initially planning to go to LiSA @ Zepp Tokyo but the tickets sold out in 3 minutes, but fortunately she held a free acoustic live in Osaka Abeno Q's Mall. She sang like 8(?) songs- all of them were great. The crowd did the usual wotagei dances, it was so much fun haha. For Miwa I was a little late since I just arrived in Tokyo from Hiroshima. I had a 2nd floor standing ticket which was a joykill since the guys infront of me were pretty tall and were completely dead - they didn't even applaud -.-'. Miwa sounds extra high-pitched, almost chipmunked lol. I was a little disappointed since she didn't sing Friday Ma-magic D:

LiSA acoustic Live - 9/10
    Miwa Zepp Live - 8/10

11. Destonus

No Friday Ma Magic? WHY!? Please tell me she at least did the other songs she's known for.

It makes no sense why people would go to a show and not applaud...were they dragged there by their girlfriends or something?

More chimpunky than Tomomi?

12. dereko92

dereko92 Administrator

She sang Merry go round which was fun since everyone was whirling their towels around and ended with the usual encore of Change. Still wondering why she didn't sing Friday ma-magic...

I haven't heard Tomomi live but I'd say she's even more chipmunky :m011:

13. Destonus

Although this is the FLiP thread because I'm waiting on Private Exy to put up a miwa section, she must have some REALLY good people mixing her on her CD's, because she certainly doesn't sound chimpmunky on those.

In other news more related to FLiP, Yuko and Yuumi recently celebrated birthdays, and Sayaka mentioned lyrics in her most recent post on their blog, I'm not sure if that means they're working on a new single/album at all. Their website lists like live after live, so I doubt they have any time to cut another single or album if they're always preparing for shows...

I've asked Bfly to translate the blurb from their website when she gets a chance so I can update the top thread at some point.

But other than that there's nothing to report for FLiP. The race is on! Who will cut a CD first? Aimi, Draft King, or FLiP?

I should start a poll...

14. dereko92

dereko92 Administrator

Yeh they've been doing live shows non-stop, hardly any time to release any new singles. They also recently started an official "Fun Club" as they call it, so it might be a pre-cursor for new promotional stuff - maybe.

15. dereko92

dereko92 Administrator

16. Jerec

Jerec Dreamer

That's great to hear.. then I first found FLiP, they had just released their 2nd album, so I literally never had to anticipate anything from them until now.

..and it's coming on June 26, yaay.

17. Destonus

Yayyyyyyyyy!

Do we have any idea of what it's going to be called?

At this point it's all new songs unless they release any singles in between.

18. dereko92

dereko92 Administrator

Imagine 13~ new songs, or maybe its a mini-album

19. Destonus

We have a date!

No name yet, but we have a date! Also it's full-length according to their FB page.

The yet to be named 3rd Album comes out 6/26. Mark calendars!

Also if you happen to be in Japan or willing to fly there just for the sake of seeing FLiP, a release tour starts in July.

This also gives all of you plenty of time to get michi evolution and XX Emotion and get caught up. (Unless you already have them and every single since Hoshi mono ha) ;)

20. dereko92

dereko92 Administrator

Crossing my fingers for a tour around December