1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Idol Genre

Discussion in 'Random Chat' started by crimsonknight4, Aug 26, 2015.

1. crimsonknight4

crimsonknight4 Global Moderator Translator

You can discuss anything regarding idol culture here.
    If you don’t know or understand something about idols then ask away!
    Idol fans can discuss their favorite idols or give their opinions about topics regarding the idol genre/culture (Lol).

2. crimsonknight4

crimsonknight4 Global Moderator Translator

Matsui Rena 267.jpg
    This is Matsui Rena. She is the whole reason I care about idols at all, you could say she initiated me.
    She is 24 years old and comes from Aichi Prefecture. She was one of the leading members of SKE48 and often appeared in many AKB48 singles as both part of the Undergirls and the Senbatsu.
    She also was given a concurrent position with Nogizaka46 for a year (Which was like a dream for me)
    Ultimately she graduated at the end of August this year, her last position in the AKB General Election being 5th place.
    She wants to pursue acting so I look forward to seeing her work.

I kinda had it in for the idol genre for stealing all the top positions on the Oricon charts (especially AKB48) but one day when I was watching a video put together for that week's Oricon chart I caught a glimpse of her and became a Matsui Rena fan. I then subsequently became an SKE48 fan and when she began to appear in AKB activities I became well acquainted with that group too. In the end SKE lost most of the members I supported and I lost interest in AKB so I started following Nogizaka46 after a few of their songs caught my ear. In all honestly I had these thoughts "I wish Rena would join Nogizaka46, it'll be the perfect group at that point..." and then! In time for my birthday it was announce that it would in fact happen! I actually love EVERYONE on the Nogizaka46 roster so they are currently the only idol group I care for. Of course I know plenty of names and am even acquainted with other groups but I really only care about Nogizaka.

Finally, why do I like Matsui Rena so much?? She has the most beautiful eyes on this planet. For her graduation they had her record a solo song and god bless their souls, the video focuses on her eyes...

3. Linguistic Massacre

Linguistic Massacre Stereopony Fan

I'm also a (rather obsessive) Matsui Rena fan, and now that she's graduated I've all but stopped following AKB and its sister groups entirely.

For me it started because I'm an avid watcher of Japanese TV dramas, and I somehow stumbled across Majisuka Gakuen, the drama where AKB members played a bunch of fighting schoolgirls. That was my first real initiation into AKB; previously I'd known they existed but never really followed them. As it turns out, Rena's character Gekikara was quite a show-stealer, and almost definitely the most iconic character of the drama. As a huge fan of the series I'm the first to admit that the acting is generally average at best, barring a few standout performances, and at the top of that short list is Rena as Gekikara. From then on she became the primary reason I followed AKB and its sister groups at all, up until her graduation.

There are no words to describe how depressed I was that I didn't win in the ticket lottery for her farewell concert; I was ready to drop everything and fly to Japan just for that concert.